Bay of Islands Ferry Timetable
TRAVEL UPDATE: Alert Level 1 - see below for details
Fullers GreatSights operates passenger and vehicle ferries in the Bay of Islands and Hokianga. It's a fun and easy way to get out on the water and get around the region. See our Ferry FAQs, or for the latest information on any service disruptions or delays, please visit our Ferries Facebook page.
Alert Level 1
- While it is no longer required, we encourage ferry passengers to continue using the Covid contract tracing app or complete the contract tracing register on board
- Passengers are no longer required to wear a face mask in order to board and travel the ferries, but we encourage it.
We operate regular passenger ferry services throughout the day between Paihia wharf and Russell. Ferry tickets can be bought online, from our booking office or on board. Ferry crossings take approximately 15 minutes.
Drop-offs at Waitangi are available on request (10am & 3pm sailings from Russell only).
Child fare: ages 5-14. Infants (children 0-4) travel free.
Return ticket prices
Buy Return Ferry Tickets Online
You can now pre-book your ferry ticket online. Tickets are valid for 7 days from date of travel selected. Tickets are non-refundable unless for operational reasons.
ON BOARD PAYMENT ACCEPTED
EFTPOS, VISA, MasterCard, American Express
|PAIHIA - RUSSELL||RUSSELL - PAIHIA|
|09:30am - 09:30pm
Departures on the half hour
|09:00am - 09:00pm
Departures on the hour
*Summer Schedule from 26 Sep 2020 - 15 May 2021
The ferry service operates as a shuttle, departing approximately every 10 minutes during the day, and every 20 minutes early morning and late evening. Opua is about 7 minutes’ drive from Paihia and Okiato is about 10 minutes' drive from Russell.
Our vehicle ferries are suitable for all vehicles including trucks, buses and campervans.
Tickets can be purchased on board or at the Opua Store. EFTPOS is available on board.
When boarding the ferry, please stay in the ferry lane and move forward as space allows. Please follow the instructions of the crew.
The speed on the ferry is 5km/hr. A dangerous goods declaration is required for all commercial vehicles.
VEHICLE PRICES (ONE-WAY)
- Car/Ute/Vehicles (less than 6 metres) $13.50
- Motorcycle $5.90
- Vehicle (6-8 metres) $21.00
- Vehicle (8-10 metres) $31.50
- Vehicle (10+ metres) $60.00
- Trailer (less than 6 metres) $13.50
- Trailer (6-8 metres) $21.00
- Trailer (8-10 metres) $31.50
- Trailer (10+ metres) $60.00
CAMPERVANS & MOTORHOMES (ONE-WAY)
Estimated cost only, based on average length per berth campervan
- 2 Berth campervan $13.50
- 2 Berth toilet and shower campervan $21.00
- 4 Berth motorhome $21.00
- 6 Berth motorhome $21.00
- Car with caravan - from $27.00
FOOT PASSENGERS (ONE-WAY)
- Adult Passenger $1.00
- Child Passenger (5-14 years) $0.50
- Child Passenger (0-5 years) FREE
|OKIATO - OPUA||OPUA - OKIATO|
Departures every 10 minutes (approximately)
between the hours above